Tuesday, January 5, 2016

10 Ways Travel Makes You a Better Writer


Happy New Year!  Time for new beginnings in your writing, right?  Novelist and producer, Stephanie Storey recently wrote for The Huffington Post about a different approach to writing using real-life experiences.  What do you think?




I love to travel. When I was a kid, my parents drove us from coast to coast in a motorhome. When I was eighteen, I went to Europe with a traveling choir. I've studied art in Italy, snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef, and just this week hiked to a glacier on the south coast of Iceland.

Travel has taught me a lot about life (how to communicate, adapt, and solve problems), but lately I've realized about how much travel has taught me about writing...


1: Planning ahead.
 


Before going on a trip, you have to plan: buy plane tickets, book hotel rooms, or at least do enough research to know you want to go where you're going. Same with writing: before you start, plan your main characters and big plot points, research your location or time period; I often make a big outline and lay it out on the floor -- sort of like a map of my story -- to guide my way...



Read the remainder of Stephanie's tips here.

No comments:

Post a Comment